Monday, August 04, 2008

Diamonds are women's best friend

Diamonds are women's best friend :
Now that’s one phrase which I have heard many a times, but never had got a chance to see the emotions a diamond can invoke in a woman until, I gifted a solitaire to my girlfriend(Rey) recently.
It all started with a regular shopping trip to a lifestyle mall on a lazy Sunday. After a couple of rounds doing window shopping and Rey trying out many dresses(with me giving the critic’s review), we happened to move to the jewelry section. With our engagement & wedding dates fast approaching, we thought it would be a good idea to check out certain rings for engagement & the wedding. Atleast we get to know how big a hole it will drill in our pockets .
After checking out a few options, Rey happened to lay her eyes on a solitaire, which just caught her attention or rather I would like to put it as “got her hooked on to it”.
It was an artistic gold ring, with a shining single diamond stone mounted on it. I guess women have this 6th sense kind of stuff, by which they get to know that certain stuff are meant to be theirs and will be part of their life forever. Such was the look and the glow in Rey’s eyes, when she slid the ring onto her ring finger. Gosh and with the ring around her finger, you could see Rey’s face beaming with joy and happiness.
But then came the part which shook her out of dreamland and jolted her back to reality, when the salesperson told us that the ring cost Rs 17,000/-. She, as if expecting a miracle in form of an approval from me looked up towards me and saw a blunt “Don’t even think about it”, kind of look prominently pasted on my face. So without much discussion on the topic, she just returned the ring and we moved on to the safety of “window shopping” for clothes.
Don’t know why, but after seeing the look on Rey’s face and the happiness she was beaming, I just couldn’t stop thinking about the ring. First came the practical thought of “Does it make sense in spending such a huge amount for a ring? “ , for which my mind was screaming a BIG NOOOOOOOOOO. But then came the romantic part of my brain which kept prompting me to surprise Rey by gifting her that ring, when she was least expecting it, and see that glow of happiness again on her face. So it was as if there was a battle raging in my mind, between the part that thinks practical and the part that thinks romantic.
But then I thought, marriage or engagement is such a big event in a girls life that brings about an ocean of change in her life. No wonder every girl wants to make such an event as one of the most special moment in her life, and wants to carry sweet memories of it. So I thought gifting Rey with the ring would surely make it to the list of such memories. Also, after knowing Rey, I was sure she would love to flaunt the stone in front of her friends and family and proudly announce to the world that her boyfriend gifted her such an expensive gift. And the look on her face when she proudly says that is just priceless.
So finally my romantic part of the brain won the battle and I went and secretly bought the ring and later in the evening when she had got over the thought of the ring and was of least expecting it. I gifted her the ring and surprised her. And was very happy to see that priceless look on her face, when she went running around her house screaming to the whole world and telling them about the ring.
I guess the priceless look on rey’s face and the glow of happiness on her face is nothing compared to the diamond ring. God willing, I hope in future I am capable of ensuring that the happiness and glow on her face remains forever.

No comments: