Monday, January 30, 2006

Winsome Twosome

Don’t know whether it can be termed as a natural human tendency or not, but the fact remains that man(read man & woman) always craves, desires & has a greed to possess or ‘make his own’ the things or possessions of another man.
Now when I use the general term ‘things’, it can be anything from wealth, fame or woman/man. But the one I am writing about is another persons gf/bf/husband/wife.
I am sure almost 100% of us have atleast once in our life time so far have wished & dreamt of how nice it would have been if that man/woman had been your gf/bf/husband/wife.
And hey this sort of desire or shall I term this as fantasy is not restricted in anyways i.e. both male & female have this fantasies, both rich and poor have this fantasy, both Asian & American have this fantasy. And surprising this fantasy is not a recently observed thing. Such fantasies or desires can be observed even in the ‘good’ old days that it even has a mention in the Mythological stories. For instance in
Ramayan, Ravan wanted to make Sita his own, because which a big war was waged. Even in today’s society we read about such happenings, for instance I recently read that the Hollywood actress Angelina Jolie practiced witchcraft in order to steal Brad Pitt from Jennifer Aniston(hey I don’t know how much of this true, so if you are a Jolie fan don’t get all upset).
But coming to think about it, with so many things influencing our thinking nowadays and the ‘natural’ human tendency of having such fantasies, its very astonishing and mind boggling as to why sometimes when we look at a couple, feel happy for them and are so pleased to see them together as a couple. Even more surprising is the fact that at times we even wish & hope that such couples stay together happily for ages to come.
I am sure each one of us has come across such couples and felt like this. Forget real life instances, even when we look at a couple in the TV soaps, we feel as if they both were made for each other and always like to see them together. Take for instance the Jassi and Arman couple in the soap ‘Jassi Jaise Koi Nahi’.
I like to quote my own such feeling, I just feel happy to see my friend Pranava and her fiancé Manoj together. They look so cute together and I hope that they have life together filled with joy and happiness.
Isn’t it surprising how we humans in spite of having this greed and desires can at the same time be so non-selfish in our thoughts and feel unconditionally happy about someone else and pray for their well being.
I mind it we feel like this towards people whom we even don’t know or are related too. Now that’s what surprises me.

Do give this a moments thought & try figuring out as to why we feel like this & if you stumble upon the answer do write to me and enlighten me :-).

2 comments:

Rajani said...

Perhaps it is just another mainfestation of the way we appreciate all things beautiful. Just as when you are at a scenic place and feel happy and peaceful there, but don't really harbor thoughts of possessing it at any time... that's my two cents' worth :)

Shweta said...

What did you want to say exactly? I just couldn't understand...