Monday, February 13, 2006

Just Married !! @ 18


“Government planning to lower the legal age for marriage for boys from 21 to 18”.
This headline in the newspaper caught my eye as I sat reading the daily in the office bus, travelling towards office. And when I read the headline, once again, it surely shook me awake from my early morning drowsiness & set me thinking about the topic and the after effects in case this plan came into effect.
I know I am just 26 years of age, but I think I have seen the world enough, to quickly quote that
Marriage + Youth = Recipe for disaster.
Come on which 18-year old guy has a job, a flat & economic stability, unless of course you belong to the royal family or your uncle or father is a millionaire. Forget about the money part, think logically and tell me which 18-year old guy has the main ingredient called MATURITY, upon which a serious relationship like marriage is based on.
I know many will argue that in today’s IT driven times, where getting a job at Call centers is easy and earning say about 15-16K is very much possible. But come on people if Money alone was the basis for marriages to work out, then world would surely have been a different place.
I can also picturise a fairy tale setup, where guy meets girl and they both fall in love and start thinking about how beautiful it will be when they get married and live happily ever after. But alas, such fairy tales have a short ending, because I feel marriage is not such a simple relation, it’s a relation which brings along with many responsibilities both personal and economical.
Please don’t get me wrong, I am not stating that dreaming such sweet dreams is wrong. I am saying everyone has a right to dream, but one should also have the tools and maturity to shape those dreams.
Also, its my personal feeling and I think its been scientifically proven also that Boys, compared to girls, mature in thought at a later age. So why has this thought come up of reducing the legal age from 21 to 18 and providing the tools for disaster??

1 comment:

gtholpadi said...

Exactly!